Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Dental Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain accessible by phone or present during the procedure, and drive the patient home. They must remain with the patient until the patient is fully responsive and can take care of themselves.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery. If you have artificial eyelashes please advise your Doctor.
- Men, Please shave around the mouth prior to surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, fever, tested positive for Covid, exposed to someone with Covid within the last 7 days, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with our office prior to your surgical date for instructions. Please bring your medications with you to the surgery.
- Antibiotics will be given IV at the time of surgery. Usually Clindamycin is given in your IV. If you are allergic advise your Doctor. There is no need to premedicate with antibiotics. There is no need to take any oral antibiotics on the day of surgery. You will need to take any oral antibiotics starting the day after surgery.